Sister Five

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It's a MAIN STREET kind of morning

Well, my air-conditioner's broke. Guys are working on it now. The fan motor just went out yesterday. It's been in the high 90's and 100's. Yesterday, I began to be in a panic.

But....God had other plans. It was so cool, well not literally. The ac didn't actually go out until about 6:00 pm late yesterday afternoon. So, the house remained relatively cool. And the night was actually OK and this morning was very cool. So, last night I opened my windows and it all came flooding back. The hum of the fan, the hot night, but it was actually tolerable. And MAIN street. It felt, smelled like many of the summer nights spent without air-conditioning. It wasn't the kind of night that was terrible where sometimes we would end up on the front step at 3 in the morning. It was the kind that mercifully (don't know if that's a word but...) cooled down enough to drift off to sleep. Then this morning, the cool breeze floating in, just laying there on a summer morning, the kind of morning where kids were STILL out of school in August. The smell of summer, it was amazing, the sounds. I fully expected the Donaldson Man (bakery goods) to come waltzing in, or "Bunny" from Bloom's market to come in and wake us up.

I just can't describe the nostalgic feelings, sounds, smells. I miss my mamma and daddy and my sisters, driving me crazy as they did. I think I'll go over and see if Marilyn is up yet, or see if Mother bought any creme filled cakes from the Donaldson man, or just go sit out on the front steps, ......But the sounds, smells, feel... it feels like home.

So, I hear the AC man outside...maybe I'm only nostalgic b/c there is hope of AC this evening. If not, I'm sure my post will take on a WHOLE other tone... but for now, I'll enjoy this morning. This evening might not be so cool.....

But, it's just like God, He knows my panic about being hot, to take something as insignificant as a broken ac, and let me know, Hey, I got this, and for your added pleasure.....cool huh! And He knows, if it doesn't get fixed, I'll be praying for sweet relief, actually begging for sweet relief again tonight!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger A Flowered Purse said…

    What sweet memories!! Those are the best kind to have. You just left my house so I know your air is fixed WOO HOO!
    I have thought and smell memories related to camping. I loved it growing up. Would probably flip out now with all the bugs. But when I hear the sounds outside, it takes me back.
    Have a wonderful day and thanks for all you do
    LOve you lots
    Dianna

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger HOPE said…

    you're welcome at our house if it gets too hot

    love your stories!

    love you

     

Post a Comment

<< Home