Sister Five

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lake Tahoe

"Talk to God and listen to the casual reply"--John Denver

Well, it wasn't the Rocky Mountains but it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen.
Our trip to Lake Tahoe was incredible. There wasn't even any snow on the mountain top, well just a little, and we weren't able to go up in the gondola and see the whole view, but in spite of that, it was truly a little piece of heaven.

Bill and I enjoyed the whole trip tremendously, realizing it was the very first trip him or I had taken together, alone, in 33 years of marriage. We usually go to HH and enjoy every minute of that but we were not all alone. I honestly didn't know what to expect with that, being in a strange place and all, without our tour guide and hospitality queen, Sandy and Jerry. The cool part is we enjoyed every minute of each other's company, not doing anything all that spectacular, but it was like being on a honeymoon. Bill kept referring to that, since we never really had a honeymoon. And we both got to celebrate our birthday's there, together. Bill treated me to a meal from our favorite place, Raley's Grocery Store. A chicken dinner meal of the day and it was great! Plus some creampuffs from the deli.

Anyone who has ever been on vacation with Bill knows how he loves the local grocery store. He usually makes several trips there and brings home desserts, ice-cream and MORE ice-cream, but he did alot better this trip, only 1 icecream and dessert binge (except the one at Coldstone Creamery).

I went on a boat called the Tahoe Queen and went to Emerald Bay. I know why they call it that, the deep blue water from Lake Tahoe turns a very deep Emerald Green. I will post some pictures if I get some from some lady I met on the boat. My disposable camera ran out of film right when I got to the most beautiful spot. We saw bald eagle's nests, no bald eagles, I guess they are all hanging out at Sandy and Jerry's pond in Sun City, but it was incredible. The couple I met ended up being a few doors down in our villa. Her travel companion caught a huge trout and fixed it up and invited us down for some on our last night. It was soooo good.

I got to jog by the lake, another miracle to be able to do that. The whole experience was surreal.

Oh, the U of L factor. When we left, of course UL had beaten West Virginia. Bill wore his UL stuff and EVERYWHERE we went, he was like a celebrity. The pilot from the plane came out and shook his hand and everywhere we went people were hoping UL would win, since they had never really heard of them in football before. I would look over in the airport and people would be engaged in handshakes and conversations with Bill. And in Tahoe too. It was so cool, but alas
all good things must come to an end. When we landed, UL was beginning their decline and we all know the outcome of that. DARN!!! Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.

But to sum up our trip, I was anxious about flying and going to an unfamiliar place. But I am so glad I did it. It was an opportunity of a lifetime.

"I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly" John Denver again.

I didn't see them fly but I saw where they live. I can see why John Denver wrote so much about the mountains, and these weren't even the big ones. I would love to go back and actually get to go up into the mountains, hike, and see the hills covered with snow. They were having a "Pray for snow party" when I left. I sure hope they get their prayers answered. Anyway, incredible trip!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger A Flowered Purse said…

    aw carol your trip sounds amazing!!
    I can't wait to see your pics!
    i have seen pics of Tahoe and it is gorgeous!!!!
    You are so lucky and Im glad you guys had such a good time.
    LOL on the louisville stuff! Go cards!!
    love
    di

     

Post a Comment

<< Home